Here’s a brief sketch offering an unusual angle on the recent emergence of crypto-currencies. They’re viewed from the Threshold perspective, from which you can see the bigger cosmic picture as the context in which certain major forces, operating unseen in the background, affect mundane everyday life on Earth. For more information on these forces, check out Notes from the Threshold* and those posts on this site concerning Mama SCAB and Papa State.
From this empowering perspective it’s clear that all money is essentially imaginary. That is to say, it only exists as a shared idea within a group of willing participants, trading in a system of standardised values and pricing. Usually they’re the citizens of a country or a federation.
Given this understanding of the essence of money, it becomes clear that the growing gap between the excesses of the rich and the deficiencies of the poor worldwide is the outcome of an ongoing game of confidence trickery. It also becomes obvious that the rich few know how to ensure that they stay on top, as their society’s ‘winners’ – supported by a hierarchy of dependants and hangers on, all intent on maintaining that unwholesome status quo – while the many exploited poor get poorer.
Scenario: the players
– Papa State is a symbolic character representing the typical sovereign nation state, acting out the role of an old-style domineering father figure and boss of an elaborate protection racket. For the State is an expression of humanity’s masculine aspect, distorted by the constricting effect of a now passing dark era in human evolution, known as the descent into matter which is also explained in Notes from the Threshold*.
– Mama SCAB is an acronym for the global Syndicate of Central and Arch-Banks, the arch-banks being the IMF, World Bank and BIS. She is also a symbolic figure whose devious, manipulative ways characterise a shadowy, distorted aspect of humanity’s feminine side from that same dark era in human evolution.
Over a few centuries SCAB – a privately owned, profit-driven business, despite the official pretence of it being state controlled – has evolved and grown significantly. And that pretence conceals the ongoing collusion between it and the State. For one of SCAB‘s central banks is lodged in almost every country. In that time SCAB has acquired monopoly control of the world’s money supply – all of which is now fiat money, ie token amounts of pretend money not backed up by gold or any other intrinsically valuable reserves.
That means SCAB can conjure up out of nothing any quantities of this imaginary commodity called money at any time, and lend it out at interest to states, banks and other institutions – so long most of humankind remain addicted to and dependent on this ‘debt money’, and continue to play along with the pretence. As a consequence, almost all nation states worldwide are now irretrievably in debt to SCAB, and thus under her control regarding all their financial affairs. This debt is known as the national, public or government debt of a country.
Bitcoin and the other crypto-currencies thus find themselves caught between these two competing forces which are continuously battling for superiority over one another in their unwholesome relationship… which somewhat resembles a loveless marriage of convenience.
What Bitcoin & co bring to the situation is a whole new set of possibilities, including:
– Transparency and integrity in all financial dealings through every transaction being recorded on the all-inclusive and accessible electronic ledger called the blockchain;
– Ending the need for numerous money-mongering intermediaries and parasites, including banks, lawyers, accountants and financial advisors etc;
– Enabling all individuals and organisations to act autonomously, eg as their own bank.
Papa State is thus deeply ambivalent about Bitcoin & co. That’s because, on the one hand, his authority is being threatened, as crypto-currencies effectively transcend national state boundaries and therefore bypass most state institutions. But on the other hand, Mama SCAB‘s power as the world’s monopoly supplier of non-crypto money is potentially being weakened even more – which correspondingly strengthens Papa‘s position in their ongoing power struggle. Also, achieving the necessary cooperation among the world’s nation states in order to develop a viable state-controlled crypto-currency is a virtual impossibility.
Mama SCAB‘s very survival as the global money controller, meanwhile, is now being threatened by the arrival of the youthful and enthusiastic Bitcoin & co – even though these are still relatively small players on the world stage. So, not surprisingly, given the tight control SCAB exerts over the US government through its US Federal Reserve branch, it’s pushing hard to make life difficult for any crypto-currencies to survive or prosper. Another option would be for SCAB is to try and impose an exclusive crypto-currency of its own on the world, but at present this would be fraught with potential problems.
The limits of crypto
Yet in the bigger picture, crypto-currencies, for all their positive qualities when compared with the present corrupted money system, are severely limited. And especially so when seen in the context of humanity’s ongoing and troubled collective adolescence, a necessary phase prior to evolving into a more mature and balanced adulthood. And that’s because the kind of mathematical mentality and logic behind these systems lacks the cosmic overview and human insight that come with seeing the world from the Threshold perspective.
1. Crypto-currency users remain culturally programmed into an immature misguided attitude, as a result of the flawed psychological assumptions about ‘human nature’ in classical economics. And that’s the result of two main factors:
(a) the divisive selfish, infantile greed, encouraged by Mama SCAB through the education systems and mainstream media she finances, in order to promote and expand her moneylending business, and
(b) the adversarial ‘us versus them’ attitude promoted by Papa State in order to justify his privileged position as protector of ‘his’ people. For the state is, in essence, an elaborate protection racket, demanding taxes as its protection money and providing just enough welfare to offset any potential revolutionary discontent.
2. Digital electronic systems are always vulnerable to hacking, sabotage and power failures and shut-downs.
3. In the now incoming era, which has a more feminine quality than the predominantly masculine departing one, there’s a tendency towards ever-increasing diversification. This is already resulting in a complicated, tangled jungle of competing rivals, predators and parasites. The fast evolving worldwide web is a perfect example of such a prospect, which provides endless possible ‘get-arounds’ for circumventing obstructions and obstacles.
4. The cold, mathematical logic of crypto-currencies inevitably seems alien and strange to many people.
If the current situation were allowed to persist, the mass majority of humankind would continue to be pre-occupied with endless small-time concerns and distractions – that is, distractions from appreciating how they’re being conned. So, they’d continue to be easily divided and ruled, exploited and dominated by the callous and more extreme successors to Mama SCAB and Papa State.
However, an alternative and optimistic view is that the crypto-currency phenomenon can be seen as a stepping stone out of the present insanity – towards a post-state, post-money world, such as is outlined in the One Humanity chapter of Notes from the Threshold*. In such an envisioned world, meeting real human need, wherever it’s found, will naturally and wisely be given priority over human greed and any indulgence in ways of living that are obviously in excess of real need… at least until that deficiency is resolved.
*Notes from the Threshold – a free PDF download from www.pathwayinitiatives.co.uk